• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

    Repiglican Roast

    A spirited discussion of public policy and current issues

    Name:
    Location: The mouth of being

    I'm furious about my squandered nation.

    Saturday, May 13, 2006

    On the Road Enviro Style

    The feeling of motion one gets from reading Jack Kerouac's criss crossing the country descriptions in On The Road, the book that supposedly helped set the counter culture in motion, might not be quite the same in this type of vehicle, but you could still DO IT.

    And such a vehicle is truly counter culture, peace making, free love and revolutionary.

    However, no oil company executive will ever allow a vehicle like this to take hold of the roads.

    It's been nearly 30 years since I read Jack Kerouac. I found him through Allen Ginsberg after reading the poem "howl". I read all the beat writers I could get my hand on before moving to James Baldwin. I used to read that way. I read everything I could find by an author until I tired of it or read it all, then moved on.

    Those books lost some, not all, just some of their relevance to me as I grew up and older, but lately I've been thinking of rereading some of them again. I feel like we are at a similar place on the spiral, culturally.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home