• (function() { (function(){function b(g){this.t={};this.tick=function(h,m,f){var n=void 0!=f?f:(new Date).getTime();this.t[h]=[n,m];if(void 0==f)try{window.console.timeStamp("CSI/"+h)}catch(q){}};this.getStartTickTime=function(){return this.t.start[0]};this.tick("start",null,g)}var a;if(window.performance)var e=(a=window.performance.timing)&&a.responseStart;var p=0=c&&(window.jstiming.srt=e-c)}if(a){var d=window.jstiming.load; 0=c&&(d.tick("_wtsrt",void 0,c),d.tick("wtsrt_","_wtsrt",e),d.tick("tbsd_","wtsrt_"))}try{a=null,window.chrome&&window.chrome.csi&&(a=Math.floor(window.chrome.csi().pageT),d&&0=b&&window.jstiming.load.tick("aft")};var k=!1;function l(){k||(k=!0,window.jstiming.load.tick("firstScrollTime"))}window.addEventListener?window.addEventListener("scroll",l,!1):window.attachEvent("onscroll",l); })(); .comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

    Repiglican Roast

    A spirited discussion of public policy and current issues

    Name:
    Location: The mouth of being

    I'm furious about my squandered nation.

    Saturday, November 26, 2005

    Papers Please

    I'd refuse to show ID.
    You can send this woman a letter of support at deb@papersplease.org and read letters to her at http://www.papersplease.org/davis/mail.html

    1 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    So -- here is one of my least fave Thanksgiving stories, when I spent time the day before in jail. I was 21 or so, and on my search for meaningful religion. I was in San Francisco at the time and going through a phase of checking out wicca stuff and reading Starhawk and others and decided to get the stuff needed to draw a circle. I went to a "magic" store and bought an athame, which is a long, ceremonial knife. It was pointed but not sharpened and cost me about $15, quite an investment for me at the time. I had that and some
    charcoal to burn herbs, a metal bowl for the incense, and various other things in a bag stapled with the price tag on it, and this was inside my backpack. I later went to a city building where they have a metal detector and turned in my bag, unopened, to be held until I got back. When I got back (from paying a parking ticket), the guy had opened the bag and said the knife was too long and it was an illegally concealed weapon. I asked how it could be illegal if I could buy it so readily in the store along with everything else, and how it was concealed if I turned the whole shopping bag in? And that it was not a weapon -- unsharpened, etc... He was, regardless of my arguments, going to keep the whole shopping bag and I was PISSED OFF and argued until I found my butt arrested. I was plunked into jail for several hours, all of that stuff was confiscated, I was charged with carrying a concealed weapon, had to go to court, and that charge was dropped to disturbing the peace, then the charge was dropped entirely. I lost time from school, work, my money, my dignity, got an arrest record and I am still so angry about it I can't believe it and am sure it has affected a lot about me in some way in my regard esp to thoughts about justice. AND -- to top it off -- wicca didn't speak to me at all! *g*

    So there's one of my unjust arrest stories. I looked into how to get the arrest itself "erased", and you never can. So I can understand choosing one's battles. The bus-riding woman's seems a big issue of injustice to me, but if the cops clearly have the "right" to ask for ID, I am afraid there's a hurdle there before even getting to the main point of free movement and reasonable cause and all that.

    10:18 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home